Hello there! Welcome to Youjoomla Support Forums

We are Web Development Company specializing in Joomla Templates , Joomla Extensions and WordPress Themes development . You are not able to see some forum threads due to your memberhip level. To unlock all forums and special customer support please take few moments to signup . If you are just searching for free joomla templates , or free joomla extension support simply head to our Free Joomla Support forums and open a new thread. Our moderators will help you as soon as possible. To spead up the response time please take few seconds and go over forum rules

Have fun!

Browse for images on local computer?

07-13-2009, 03:40 AM
# 1 (permalink)
scribess1
Okay, this should be a no-brainer but I can't for the life of me figure out why I'm unable to browse images on my local computer. Up till now I just ftp'd my image files, and then insert the image -- all done with TinyMCE. The light box looks like it gives me an option to Upload: then browse for Image but when I try, nothing happens.

I'm just tired of always having to FTP first to insert image in tineMCE... is there something better out there? (and am I the last to know Thx....Dee
07-20-2009, 01:26 AM
# 3 (permalink)
scribess1
Hi Neo, I'm still trying to browse the images on the local computer. I've tried a different browser but it will only allow me to insert an image if it's already been FTP'd, I can't actually insert an image from local computer and then upload it to the file. Is that normal, or is there any easier way to do this? Thx.. Dee
07-20-2009, 04:27 AM
# 4 (permalink)
treehugger
Are you using the latest browser version and what version of flash is your browser using?
There were issues with Flash Player 10 that caused the exact same problem to happen to me. I was advised to downgrade to Flash 9 but instead I upgraded my Joomla install to the latest version (1.5.12) and that did the trick.
07-21-2009, 03:37 PM
# 5 (permalink)
scribess1
Thanks tree-hugger, i'll try that
07-22-2009, 02:10 PM
# 6 (permalink)
scribess1
Hi Neo or Tree-Hugger,

You know I just stumbled across this. Is this true?

TinyMCE:FAQ - Moxiecode Documentation Wiki

"How can I upload image files from my local computer?
Short answer: You can't!
Long answer: TinyMCE is just an editor to output (X)HTML code. It is by no means comparable to web editing desktop software such as Adobe Dreamweaver, Go Live! or Microsoft Web Expressions and the like. It runs on a user's browser (client-side) and not on a server. If you want to upload pictures to a server then you need a server-side component to process your image files. TinyMCE can't do that on its own since it doesn't run on the server but on the user's browser.
However there are two commercial plugins that enable you to upload files since they come with a server-side component. These are MCImageManager and MCFileManager.
In addition, there are two Open Source plugins which accomplish this same purpose. These include IMCE and Ibrowser. Note that these are both released under the GPL, which may not be acceptable for many commercial applications.
TinyMCE is a front-end for systems that need a client-side WYSIWYG editor (like many CMSes do). You can see it like an independent component that can be integrated into an existing system."
07-22-2009, 03:44 PM
# 7 (permalink)
treehugger
I'm not sure as I always install the JCE editor component and plugin on my sites - it is far superior to TinyMCE

JCE
07-22-2009, 11:52 PM
# 8 (permalink)
scribess1
Tree Hugger,

Thank you a dozen times! By the way you guys, I bought another year but I'll be under the name scribess22 this time just so you'll remember me. I've really appreciated the forum's input and I have learned so much this year. There's like a one-day class in the area that wants $3,000 for joomla here in Pasadena. But really, it's about rolling up your sleeves and consistent work. There's no other way around it!

Thanks again