i have officially tried every possible combination, and have watched and followed many joomla tutorials without success.
1. renamed htaccess.txt to .htaccess
2. turned the following ON in global configuration:
SEF URLs ON and OFF
Use Apache mod-rewrite ON and OFF
Add suffix to URLs ON and OFF
3. removed the # before RewriteBase / in .htaccess
4. repeated step 2
5. added zhongwenmovies.com after RewriteBase /
6. repeated step 2
7. added # in front of Options +FollowSymLinks
8. repeated step 2
nothing has worked to resolve the issue. what i'm reading says this could be due to the host's settings. i contacted them. they say apache mod-rewrite is absolutely enabled on their end.
if the folder is zhongwenmovies.com, should i type RewriteBase / zhongwenmovies.com OR RewriteBase / ~zhongwenmovies.com ? or perhaps something else?