Hello there! Welcome to Youjoomla Support Forums

We are Web Development Company specializing in Joomla Templates , Joomla Extensions and WordPress Themes development . You are not able to see some forum threads due to your memberhip level. To unlock all forums and special customer support please take few moments to signup . If you are just searching for free joomla templates , or free joomla extension support simply head to our Free Joomla Support forums and open a new thread. Our moderators will help you as soon as possible. To spead up the response time please take few seconds and go over forum rules

Have fun!

[SOLVED] Changing Site Address

08-28-2008, 11:40 AM
# 1 (permalink)
salpro22
Im hoping somebody can provide some clarification on the following.

Right now I have one site that I will longer be using because of potential trademark violation down the road. Live and learn on that lesson. I have since bought a new domain and wish to transfer everything from the old site to the new site. Right now I have the new site pointed towards my root directory so it looks exactly the same as the older site. The older site has a ranking of 700K or so, while the new site is at 6 million.

Is it a better idea to simply create a new database for the new site and copy my old database containing the template, information, etc. I wish to keep for ranking purposes or is there a better way to do things?

I alluded to my surprise of how quickly the older site increased rank and Id like to do the same thing with my new site using the same Newsline Template. Im thinking about simply creating a folder in my root directory and transfering my original joomla installation, template, etc. to that folder and then using that directory as the root directory for my new site, but Id like to make sure there isnt a more efficient way to do things.

Thanks.
08-29-2008, 12:23 AM
# 2 (permalink)
Ardoris
Are you using 301 permanent redirect?
08-29-2008, 12:29 AM
# 3 (permalink)
salpro22
I have no idea what that is. The root folder of the original site is the same as the old site that contained my joomla site. Why do you ask?
08-29-2008, 02:34 AM
# 4 (permalink)
Ardoris
Let say your...
Old domain name is \Your-Old-Domain-Name-here.com\
New domain name is \Your-New-Domain-Name-here.com\

You can use 301 permanent redirect to convert all
traffic from \Your-Old-Domain-Name-here.com\ to
\Your-New-Domain-Name-here.com\.

Anyone typein \Your-Old-Domain-Name-here.com\ or
link to \Your-Old-Domain-Name-here.com\ will automatically
move to \Your-New-Domain-Name-here.com\.

In other words, you will not lose your hard earned traffic
just because you have to give up your old domain name.

To find out how to use it.
Go to google and type in...
\301 permanent redirect\.