Hello there! Welcome to Youjoomla Support Forums

We are Web Development Company specializing in Joomla Templates , Joomla Extensions and WordPress Themes development . You are not able to see some forum threads due to your memberhip level. To unlock all forums and special customer support please take few moments to signup . If you are just searching for free joomla templates , or free joomla extension support simply head to our Free Joomla Support forums and open a new thread. Our moderators will help you as soon as possible. To spead up the response time please take few seconds and go over forum rules

Have fun!

YJ Module Engine - is it possible to link from?

03-21-2014, 12:08 PM
# 11 (permalink)
neo
yes but you will have to do it every time, I dont understand why dont you link to that article trough module itself?
03-21-2014, 01:15 PM
# 12 (permalink)
dmuller
I would, if I knew how to.

I have four images. Four links to four articles. All need to be displayed in Adv1 beside each other along with the text above it (also in Adv1). I may be being extremely thick (likely), but an obvious solution where I can link to four separate articles from that single module does not seem clear to me at all.

David.
03-21-2014, 02:05 PM
# 13 (permalink)
neo
Look here ,
http://extensions.youjoomla.info/med...89cabe44_L.jpg

param

Select default news source: Where is your item , in Joomla articles or in K2? Click on dropdown to select

Param below categories

Select specific items;
click on Select button , find the articles you need, click on their title save.
03-21-2014, 03:33 PM
# 15 (permalink)
dmuller
"hovering over params title and reading instructions is what should be done if anything is not clear."

Yes, I understand this, sometimes your ttoltips are not that clear to the end user though, perhaps because there is a degree of assumed knowledge that comes from a more in-depth knowledge of the item in question. I have been guilty of this myself with other projects in the past.

"param

Select default news source: Where is your item , in Joomla articles or in K2? Click on dropdown to select

Param below categories

Select specific items;
click on Select button , find the articles you need, click on their title save."

Okay, I feel a little like I'm going round in circles here.

As far as I can tell, from that menu, I can either a) Select articles from News or K2 or b). select individual articles. What I cannot do is select one article for display in the module and have that link to an alternate article!

If you can spare two minutes to look at the site I posted in the link perhaps things will become clearer. You will see the four articles side by side, these are all in the module position of adv1. When you click on the image in those articles the same article can either be displayed on the same page or in a new page if a category is set as per this advice form Arefund (http://www.youjoomla.com/joomla_supp...e-problem.html).

As the YJ Module Engine is not designed to do what I need I asked if there was an alternative extension in your range of products that would. It seems a fairly simple thing to do, to either link to another article or even better, a menu item. It's a shame because, as with much of what you guys produce, I love the way this has been styled and it's functionality.

I have four 'calls to action' in the Joomla news that display in the YJ Module engine, and when I click on them they open an alternative article (or better still, link to a menu item) is there anyway to achieve this with anything you guys have written? If not, I'll go to my back up plan of a third party extension and an extra module row in which to display it, that way I can have all the text in adv1 and put the third party extension into the new row I make, making use of the functionality of the bootstrap layout.

Regards,

David.
03-21-2014, 03:54 PM
# 16 (permalink)
neo
I understood what you asked for and gave best workaround for it , but what I did not and still dont understand is, why do you want to link to something else and show something different in the module?

Module is capable to show the article that you need to be linked to by;

a) Selecting the category where article belongs and set the order of articles in module manager

b) selecting that specific article to show

if you just dont want to show the article category in the menu , than bud ,

make new menu , assign your target article category to it , and dont publish the actual menu module.

this way your article still gets and Itemid and will be open in full page

what I think you are after is actually this here

YJSG v2.0.0 pre-release feedback - Youjoomla Support Forums

read all the posts below to make sense of it
03-21-2014, 04:26 PM
# 17 (permalink)
dmuller
Okay, I'll give that a read tonight.

Thank you for your patience. It's not easy dealing with us lot sometimes I imagine...

I still can't really figure out the steps to achieve what seems so simple to you

"but what I did not and still dont understand is, why do you want to link to something else and show something different in the module? "

Well, so that you can style the call to action, have a small image, little bit of text, all styled just the way it is but link to a more expanded article, with more (and crucially different text), different images and one that is also accessible from a menu link.

I obviously need some type of spoon-fed step-by-step instruction to get this to work, sadly, I don't think anyone has the time to do this for me. I read and re-read what you put and still it makes no sense.

Oh well.
03-21-2014, 05:14 PM
# 18 (permalink)
neo
ok than it is what I assumed ,

go in Joomla menus ,
create new menu
create new menu item in new menu and it should be category of your target article ,

done
03-21-2014, 07:46 PM
# 19 (permalink)
dmuller
Okay, please bear with me. The problem here is the lack of detail in the directions. It would be easier to set up a single link from start to finish rather than drip feeding of information. This isn't a criticism, it's a genuine attempt to help steer the keyboard weary fools such as myself in the most direct fashion possible. Honestly, if I can get just one link to function correctly, in the manner I want I can figure the rest myself.

In the interim, whilst I waited for a reply, I managed to add another row (with your help in the other thread Neo, thanks for that), add a third party extension that almost does what I want (albeit with limited text options, no option to add H1, H2 tags etc which is bad for SEO), style the CSS and get it to work responsively. So I can't be too stupid - and it works.

You say:

"ok than it is what I assumed" (I guess you mean I'm clueless )

"go in Joomla menus ,
create new menu
create new menu item in new menu and it should be category of your target article ,

done."

It didn't do.

So, in detail, what I did was this:

I went into my YJ Module Engine and under 'Joomla News Source Settings' I selected to 'Select Specific Items' where I choose the four articles I have published in the Article Manager called, FP - call to action 01-04 respectively. These are the articles you see on the front page, each of those articles has it's own category now rather than sharing a category.

Then I went into the Menu Manager and created a individual menu for each article I want to link to. So I have four news menus (Our Recent Work, What We Do, Twin Wall & Additional Services). In each of those menus I created a single item of the type 'Category Blog', I then chose the category it pertains to (so for Our Recent Work it will link to the Gallery category). I click save.

There still appears no way to link to a single, specific article as in the example that is below using the third party extension. Please, if you can bear to, revisit my demo site and see the two together, you'll see what I am trying to achieve with the YJ Module Engine. You say it's possible, still to me it's not clear how.

A step-by-step from start to finish to get just one of these to work would see me right, I'm sure I could figure out how to do the rest from there as all I can manage at the moment is to get the same article displayed in a fresh window, not the article linked to in the example I've put in below the YJ Module Engine, and even that doesn't seem to work with all of them!

Regards,

David (and thank you for your patience, I know I keep saying it).
03-22-2014, 10:03 AM
# 20 (permalink)
neo
OK this is getting to long and seems like we dont understand each other. And please never think that I am thinking less of any of our customers. " I assumed , you need itemid assigned to target articles"

I will do it in images and you please just answer briefly. The more paragraphs you are feeding me the less clue I get. Hope this makes sense .

Your 2 modules

Screenshot by Lightshot

Both articles use same image intro, same title

Simple question:

Why do you need this one
Screenshot by Lightshot

to open this one
http://prntscr.com/3321wo