Hello there! Welcome to Youjoomla Support Forums

We are Web Development Company specializing in Joomla Templates , Joomla Extensions and WordPress Themes development . You are not able to see some forum threads due to your memberhip level. To unlock all forums and special customer support please take few moments to signup . If you are just searching for free joomla templates , or free joomla extension support simply head to our Free Joomla Support forums and open a new thread. Our moderators will help you as soon as possible. To spead up the response time please take few seconds and go over forum rules

Have fun!

The Future of K2

02-19-2016, 10:36 AM
# 1 (permalink)
baituo01
Dear Youjoomla Community & Developers,

I have spent the last year updating my site for Joomla 3 and customizing and integrating it to work with K2 and K2 supported extensions. I have spent a lot of money to do this, as many others have. But I probably wouldn't have gone in this direction if the Youjoomla HD Channel Template didn't come preinstalled with K2.

Over six months ago I asked K2 developers about the future of their extension.

I said:
"I'm concerned K2 might not get upgraded for future Joomla versions, such as for Joomla 4, 5, etc... If that's the case, I would much prefer to just deal with the issue now by relying completely on the Joomla core system. (In the past I ran into a problem with one extension I was using to run my site. It was "the" main component and later wasn't upgraded by the developer. This really caused a huge problem: why I didn't get around to updating my site to Joomla 3.+ until now.)

Can you please tell me if I should be worried about K2 not being upgraded for use in future Joomla installs? What are the plans for the future of K2? Some information on the topic or reading material would be useful and much appreciated."

I was told at that time by K2 developers:
"Rest assured that K2 will support all future major version of Joomla!.
As for the plans for the future you might want to take a look at v3 which will be introduced in September."

September was 5 months ago and K2 developers have not updated K2 yet, nor are they willing to give their community any information about when the update will come, if it ever comes. There has hardly been any activity on the Github graph since December 2014, and many, many people are saying K2 is dead.

For now, although I still haven't launched our new site, K2 works fine for my purposes. But what if there really is no K2 v.3 as they lead us to believe? What will that mean for us that use K2 in our Youjoomla templates going forward? Will we be able to continue using an old version of K2 with future versions of Joomla? Is it worth buying more extensions etc. to customize our sites/templates with all this in mind? As a company that uses their extension in your Youjoomla templates, who has many customers that rely on K2 as a result, can you share some information to your community about this situation?

Look forward to your answers and thoughtful advice.

Kind regards,
Scott

Are you sure your are posting in product assigned forum?: Yes

What is your CMS version?: Joomla 3.x

MySQL Version: 5.x

PHP version: 5.x

Link to installation: nq

Have you edited any files? If yes tell us which ones.: Yes

Is this personal or client website?: Personal
02-22-2016, 12:30 PM
# 2 (permalink)
neo
All valid questions no doubt but in my opinion you are overthinking it a bit. K2 is mostly used Joomla extension today and just because they did not release new version does not mean it is dead, to me it shows stability. Last version out in Dec 2014 and it still works with all Joomla versions in between which we cannot say about majority of J extensions .

As far as activity , I see movement here , http://prntscr.com/a6ldo2 and looks like we will have 2.7 soon.

Look at YJSG , we released it in July 2010 and since than we moved only to 2.2. It does not mean that we dont work , it means that we found a base that worked for us for the past 6 years.

So I say , use K2 and dont be scared. If anything happens in between we would also update the whole template arsenal and find suitable solution but knock on wood , we did not have to do this so far. As for developer promise to release new version and not honoring it , well , developers usually never meet the deadlines
03-01-2016, 06:59 AM
# 3 (permalink)
baituo01
Thank you for your thoughtful answer, Neo.