Hello there! Welcome to Youjoomla Support Forums

We are Web Development Company specializing in Joomla Templates , Joomla Extensions and WordPress Themes development . You are not able to see some forum threads due to your memberhip level. To unlock all forums and special customer support please take few moments to signup . If you are just searching for free joomla templates , or free joomla extension support simply head to our Free Joomla Support forums and open a new thread. Our moderators will help you as soon as possible. To spead up the response time please take few seconds and go over forum rules

Have fun!

[SOLVED] Disable extensions before upgrade patch?

02-06-2010, 03:06 AM
# 1 (permalink)
scribess22
Hi All,

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place with this question, but I'm wondering must I always disable extensions, plugins, modules, componants, before I upgrade the joomla patch? Also, isn't simple scripts the same as the manual upgrade to public_html? Thanks much....Dee
02-06-2010, 07:47 AM
# 2 (permalink)
jaycburton
Hi Dee - I don't recall ever disabling anything before upgrading. It is a good idea to take your site offline temporarily while upgrading Joomla! or major components, etc.

Regarding your other question about 'simple scripts' being the same as a 'manual upgrade', I think I understand what you are asking. Personally, I have never (and likely would never) use any script to upgrade a Joomla! installation. It is so simple to perform an upgrade via FTP or many other file managers.

The biggest concern I would have when upgrading a complex site with lots of extensions or customizations, would be a concern that: a) those items currently installed were compatible with the latest version of Joomla! I was going to install and b) I might overwrite any code hacks previously made to core files.

So, when upgrading, especially on complex sites, ALWAYS do a complete backup of the site, database, uploaded files, etc. On my hosting, there is a backup of each site done every day, so if something goes south, I can restore everything in seconds back to the last backup.
02-09-2010, 03:28 PM
# 3 (permalink)
scribess22
This is so true. It's a given, based on my experience, that a.) the website will crash b.) I will have a backup.

thx..d.
02-09-2010, 03:44 PM
# 4 (permalink)
jaycburton
Happy to help, as always.