Hello there! Welcome to Youjoomla Support Forums

We are Web Development Company specializing in Joomla Templates , Joomla Extensions and WordPress Themes development . You are not able to see some forum threads due to your memberhip level. To unlock all forums and special customer support please take few moments to signup . If you are just searching for free joomla templates , or free joomla extension support simply head to our Free Joomla Support forums and open a new thread. Our moderators will help you as soon as possible. To spead up the response time please take few seconds and go over forum rules

Have fun!

[SOLVED] I'd like to input a new parameter in a module

12-19-2009, 02:58 PM
# 1 (permalink)
pugliesi
Hello,
I had made use of the YS newsflash module, and I'd like to add a new parameter in it, like this:

<param name="show_front" type="radio" default="1" label="Joomla Frontpage Items" description="Show frontpage articles in this module">
<option value="1">Show</option>
<option value="0">Hide</option>
</param>

I've success in included it in the mod_yj_newsflash.xml; however I need to add something in the mod_yj_newsflash.php to the change really work.

Does anybody can help me in turn that on?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Felipe
12-19-2009, 06:34 PM
# 2 (permalink)
jaycburton
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugliesi
Hello,
I had made use of the YS newsflash module, and I'd like to add a new parameter in it, like this:

<param name="show_front" type="list" default="1" label="Joomla Frontpage Items" description="Show frontpage articles in this module">
<option value="1">Show</option>
<option value="0">Hide</option>
<option value="2">Only Frontpage Items</option>
</param>

I've success in included it in the mod_yj_newsflash.xml; however I need to add something in the mod_yj_newsflash.php to the change really work.

Does anybody can help me in turn that on?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Felipe
Hi - Please identify specifically which file/extension you are talking about. Providing me the URL where you downloaded it would help tremendously. Thanks!
12-20-2009, 01:48 PM
# 3 (permalink)
pugliesi
Hello Jay,
Thanks for your help.
I'm talking about mod_yj_newsflash_15 - version 1.0
We are trying to set this new parameter because I need to hide every single article that will be published at the front page. Our site is still closed for the public:

pesquisa.etc.br - Primeira Página

You may find the module at the home page named as test1 at the position right.

Please, also see in the attachment a copy of the modified module at lines 33 to 36 in its XML file.

Regards,
Felipe
Attached Files
File Type: zip mod_yj_newsflash_151.zip (14.6 KB, 3 views)
12-20-2009, 04:35 PM
# 4 (permalink)
jaycburton
Quote:
Hello Jay,
Thanks for your help.
I'm talking about mod_yj_newsflash_15 - version 1.0
We are trying to set this new parameter because I need to hide every single article that will be published at the front page. Our site is still closed for the public:

pesquisa.etc.br - Primeira Página

You may find the module at the home page named as test1 at the position right.

Please, also see in the attachment a copy of the modified module at lines 33 to 36 in its XML file.

Regards,
Felipe
Can't you just use the existing Article Manager setting of "no" to be included on the Front Page "no"?

I wanted to let you know that your previous Silver membership expired about two weeks ago. To receive support you need to purchase at the appropriate membership level, which in this case would be Developer.
12-20-2009, 05:48 PM
# 5 (permalink)
pugliesi
Hello Jay,
Hope you understand I think almost US$ 300 too expensive just for the change that I need. I will first look for another module. Then I get back to you...

About the article manager, its not possible; because we have only modules at the front page; and the big one at the top left side will display four most recent and main articles published at the front page. If I let the YJ module as it is, we will have two modules showing the same news at the front page. That's why I need to add this new parameter.

Anyway, I have two more questions for you: 1) once I decide to have a new subscription as you suggest, how long to receive the module with the especific changes made?
2) Which ways may you help me at the developping work to lunch my site and What else may you possible do?

Best Regards,
Felipe
12-20-2009, 06:23 PM
# 6 (permalink)
jaycburton
Quote:
Hello Jay,
Hope you understand I think almost US$ 300 too expensive just for the change that I need. I will first look for another module. Then I get back to you...

About the article manager, its not possible; because we have only modules at the front page; and the big one at the top left side will display four most recent and main articles published at the front page. If I let the YJ module as it is, we will have two modules showing the same news at the front page. That's why I need to add this new parameter.

Anyway, I have two more questions for you: 1) once I decide to have a new subscription as you suggest, how long to receive the module with the especific changes made?
2) Which ways may you help me at the developping work to lunch my site and What else may you possible do?

Best Regards,
Felipe
I'm not quite sure I understand the first part of your reply. If you are going to use the YJ extension to show articles, then they shouldn't be published on the front page in Joomla! as this can show duplicate content. Even if they are unpublished as far as Joomla! is concerned, the module will display them appropriately.

In response to your questions:
1) The support team does just that: We support you in making such changes, we don't necessarily "do" them for you. Sometimes the replies you receive as a developer will be enough to accomplish what you need, other times it will help guide you in the right direction. If you want someone to do the work for you, then you can likely hire someone to do that. For the record, I am not offering my services via this post. As far as how long it takes to receive support, the first reply can be from minutes to hours. How long it can take to resolve something entirely is hard to quantify.
2) If you have anything other than a Developer membership, you will not typically get much help beyond general information. Sometimes that might not be enough for you to implement what you desire to do. The templates are overall designed in such a way that it is relatively easy to implement changes. If you are requesting very specific help, that gets into customization, and you should expect to have to hire someone to do the work for you if you don't want to do it. As a developer, I have virtually always received support sufficient enough to resolve all questions.
12-22-2009, 06:29 AM
# 7 (permalink)
pugliesi
Hello Jay,
Thanks for your kind attention.
Trying to explain the first part: the template we are using allow us to modify joomla front page. We have one module at left top that will show most recent four main articles: the headlines that we are going to set "yes" on article manager to be included on the front page from any section or category. And then, others modules will show one or two articles each from one especific section or category, but not the same article that the first module will be showing as headline. By this configuration, we have a different front page and the journalists team can focus on quality content.

Anyway, I had found other module that's works exactaly as we need. For your information its the "Display News" module from BK. And the best news: it is free.

Even so, I'll think about your suggestion of a new subscription period as developer, in the near future.

Once more, thanks for your kind attention.

Best Regards from Brazil,

Felipe
12-22-2009, 07:28 AM
# 8 (permalink)
jaycburton
Quote:
Hello Jay,
Thanks for your kind attention.
Trying to explain the first part: the template we are using allow us to modify joomla front page. We have one module at left top that will show most recent four main articles: the headlines that we are going to set "yes" on article manager to be included on the front page from any section or category. And then, others modules will show one or two articles each from one especific section or category, but not the same article that the first module will be showing as headline. By this configuration, we have a different front page and the journalists team can focus on quality content.

Anyway, I had found other module that's works exactaly as we need. For your information its the "Display News" module from BK. And the best news: it is free.

Even so, I'll think about your suggestion of a new subscription period as developer, in the near future.

Once more, thanks for your kind attention.

Best Regards from Brazil,

Felipe
Greetings Felipe,

I am happy that you were able to find what you needed, and share in your delight that it was a free solution. If we can be of service in the future, please let us know.

Best regards,
Jay