Youjoomla Support Forums (http://www.youjoomla.com/joomla_support/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.youjoomla.com/joomla_support/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   YJSG Version 2.0 suggestions (http://www.youjoomla.com/joomla_support/showthread.php?t=9448)

joomlagold 12-18-2011 07:21 PM

YJSG Version 2.0 suggestions
 
Hello there , we hope you had fun with our YJSG Joomla Template framework and that you like all the features that it has.

Since Joomla 2.5 is about to be released soon we would like to take advantage of it and continue YJSG version 2.0 development . Please use this thread to suggest any new features that you would like to see or suggest the change/removal of existing ones.

Since Joomla 1.5 end of life is very close please understand that YJSG 2.0 version templates will be compatible with Joomla 1.6 and UP only.

However we will always support all our products and if you need support for outdated template version please post in template assigned forums.


Thank you!

dig814 12-31-2011 05:05 PM

Hi Youjoomla Team,

First I must say congratulations on building a great framework. I have been using it for the past 11 months building free, custom and commercial templates for my business, URL="http://www.pixelpointcreative.com"] Pixel Point Creative[/url]. With this much daily use I am have really come to appreciate this framework and its features. When shopping for a framework, I chose Yougrids because of the nice mix of features and the powerful, but user friendly interface. I wanted something that wouldn't overwhelm the average Joomla user. After using it and supporting it I have several suggestions. Many are my own and many are from our customer base. Common forum and support ticket questions were a good basis to see what people want and need. I am going to break down my suggestions by category.

OVERVIEW
Over all you guys did a fantastic job providing a solid, versatile framework. It has nice mobile features. The mega menu is very nice with lots of options. (Two biggest selling points in my selection) The grid structure is important for consistent layout and you provide a wealth of module positions and nice built in features like analytics, column selection, SEO, RTL to LTR, Font etc. I think a few improvements can be made to really take this framework to the next level.

System Check
This is a nice feature. It lets you know the status of your Mega menu plugin, component disabled status and the staus of the framework. Good stuff. My only suggestion here is to create a dual installer that automatically installs and enables the mega menu plugin when you install the template. One less step for the end user.

Style Setting
Again, this is well done. A nice amount of adjustments can be made, but not too many as to overwhelm. The custom CSS file is a great way to allow the users to override without changing the core files so upgrades would be easier. My suggestion has to do with cufon and font overrides in general. I would love to see multiple font overrides. This has been requested many times
from our users. This would allow separate nice fonts to be used in a few different areas. IE. One for the menu, one for the headings, etc. Two sets of overrides would be great but three would be awesome.

Logo and Header block
Probably the most frequent question has to do with changing the logo. Even with FAQ's and forum posts, people still often ask this simple question. My suggestion is to take the mystery out and add a built in an image uploader to the logo section for the user to upload their logo in the template manager.

Top Mega Menu Settings
This is a tough one. I am torn between the built in menu and a menu module for flexibility in multi lingual sites and placement. If you stay with a built in route, I suggest adding another module position below the menu called "custommenu" and providing a template parameter that allows the user to "Completely Disable the built in Menu" and at the same time enabled the custom menu position. We have this built in to our templates now. There is a top menus disable selection now, but it doesn't work for non-menu pages, so disabling completely allows for the flexibility to add another menu module.

Mobile Template
Overall this is a great addition to the framework and very important moving forward. I would only love to see sub menu ability in the mobile menu. Other wise I think it is great.

Bugs I have encountered with base framework:
CABND cufon doesn't work. Case problem in the filename,
Typos in language files
cufon-yui.js needs updated for IE9
Few issues with Com Contact HTML overrides and language file.

That is very few. This is a solid piece of work :)

Other suggestions:
Better, no refresh, font sizer with images and more options.
A vertical mega menu mod. If you broke out the mega menu into a module this could be added.
Remove template name from footer.
Allow end user to edit text in footer.


Overall I would be delighted to aid in any updates in any way I can. After all I am using this fine framework for my business, and I am very grateful to have it. Please let me know how I can help.

Many Thanks
Dan Riefstahl

Skip2MyLou 01-01-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dig814 (Post 43336)
Hi Youjoomla Team,

First I must say congratulations on building a great framework...

Nice suggestions. I think you will be pleased to know that some of them have already been planned for the new gridbase :)

neo 01-01-2012 01:36 PM

thnx for suggestions , as skiptomylow advised MANY new features are in ,

1. mega menu ported to module (already done)
2. cleaned up head files
3. multiple fonts overrides
4. custom code your <head> to add more features js , head css etc.
5. Don't want to say but the grids will be .... sorry
6. Better SEO
7. slim down CSS
8. rounded corners changed no more images to cut

9. Better mobile template and settings
10. New GUI more user friendly
11..............moreeeee

dig814 01-03-2012 10:28 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. Very excited to see the new work. Any projected date of release? I am sure it will be great. Neo, what does this mean?
Don't want to say but the grids will be .... sorry

Thanks

Dan

kevinmorrison 01-12-2012 01:34 PM

On top of the great suggestions that dig814 offered, I would like to see YouJoomla on top by offering Mobile Friendly Responsive Layout Designs. What I am dealing with is frameworks that are mobile friendly but in order to function modules are turned off when viewing the site on a small frame.

neo 01-12-2012 06:00 PM

@kevinmorrison YJSG has own modules for mobile version , mobiletop and mobile bottom , just publish mods for mobile only and it will display

neo 01-12-2012 06:03 PM

@dig814 , it is one of a kind framework and style , you guys will be very pleasantly surprised with ease of use and style , admin is 90% done and we are slimming down the codes , yj mega menu is module now so you can use it on any joomla template , much more work is being done as we speak but you will love it

neo 01-12-2012 06:07 PM

and yes , dual installer is there already so no more messing with multiple extension installs, as for fonts , much more is in than just simple override , we are discussing a generator for fontsquirrel and google fonts but again , much more work to be done

dig814 01-19-2012 05:10 PM

Great!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo (Post 43665)
and yes , dual installer is there already so no more messing with multiple extension installs, as for fonts , much more is in than just simple override , we are discussing a generator for fontsquirrel and google fonts but again , much more work to be done


Awesome! Thanks so much everyone for all your hard work. I think cufon is the best option. (cleanest looking) in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.... Very excited! If you need any beta testers, hit me up.

Dan

neo 01-19-2012 06:57 PM

we will release beta version when we are so far so everyone could test and give their input. I hope we will be done with beta by March 1st but please do not hold us to it.

teilolondon 01-29-2012 10:32 AM

Simple and important feature
 
I recently installed YouGrids template. I have bilingual site. It seems to me, that it is possible to select only 1 menu as default Top Menu. I have different menus for different languages.

Why do I need to select the default menu for a template framework at all? You need to select a module position in Joomla, isn't it enough.

rocaloca 02-05-2012 07:07 AM

Menu Position for Multilingual support
 
Hi,

I have a problem with the main menu of your templates as my sites are 90% multilingual.

When I set up a multilingual site I add:

1 General Menu for all languages - with 1 homepage (all languages)
1 Mainmenu - Menu for English - with 1 homepage (english language) and subpages
1 Menuprincipal - Menu for Spanish - with 1 homepage (spanish language) and subpages

1 language switcher English / Spanish

1 Module Menu English - linked to Mainmenu
1 Module Menu Spanish - linked to Menuprincipal

I add the Module Menus position-1 and language switcher position-0 or any other postion.

Now if I take the beez2 template or any other joomla template in the installation packet this setup works perfectly and when I switch languages (flags or text) I always get a Menu with Menu items in their respective language.

Now in your templates the mainmenu has per default position-7 which is not a position - but a fixed one.

And in the template settings/top menu settings - I have to choose a default menu - WHICH I THINK IS THE MAIN PROBLEM - If I choose the Mainmenu - only the English topmenu version is showing at mysite/en if I click the language switcher and choose the Spanish site - the topmenu stays blanc.

If I now choose the Menuprincipal as the default topmenu the spanish menu shows but not the English one...

And the multilingual support seems not possible that way.

I thougt I read that you are going to solve this problem by giving your Menu a Module Position in the new upgrade - I am almost sure I read that somewhere and was really excited:-)

Now I updated my yougrids and youmedia template manually - following your instructions on:....we-ready-joomla-2-5-a.html uploading the following files of yougrids 2.5 to my site and also installed a test site with the yougrids files (Template_Yougrids-J17J25) and (Plugin_YJ_Mega_Menu-J17J25):
  • elements - folder with files
  • html/com_content - folder with files
  • html/com_users - folder with files
  • offline.php - file
  • css/joomladefaults.css - file

But in both, the update and new test installation I cannot make the topemnu multilingual compatible as in other Joomla Templates.

Did I miss to upload a file? or did you not add a module position to your update? Or do you have any other suggestion of how to make your templates topmenu multilingual compatible with Joomla 1.6 to 2.5

Please let me know.

I can make use of multilingual with a workaround (having to move all menus into one and making 3 default home sites... )- but the customers won't be happy with that... as it looks very confusing in the admin area... especially after the 2.5 update..

Thanks for your work!

rocaloca 02-06-2012 08:11 AM

Hi Johaswe

I think this would be a great NEW improvement if we could use Youjoomla templates for Multilingual sites.

Which right now is only possible with workarounds...

Since Joomla 1.6 - it is possible to make multilingual sites with Joomla without using any outside components - but hey if you think that Youjoomla templates should not have a framework that can be used for multilingual websites then that is your idea of improvement.

If you read my thread you will see that I am not asking how to do something - I am explaining how I did it and that it is not currently possible to use the Youjoomla templates for a multilingual website following the Joomla Standards.

johaswe 02-06-2012 09:53 AM

Ahh oh, i am sorry about that.
You are correct, multilingual feature should be nice aswell. *Thumbs up*

:)

rocaloca 02-06-2012 11:19 AM

But then after reading carefully - this thread here is about the new version of the new Youjoomla Company Website and not about a new 2.0 version of the Youjoomla templates - so I am in the wrong place after all :eek:

so moderators, please move my thread to the right thread which would be: http://www.youjoomla.com/joomla_support/announcements/9448-yjsg-version-2-0-suggestions.html#post43031

I do not want to double post it...

thanx and sorry

neo 02-06-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocaloca (Post 44031)
Hi,

I have a problem with the main menu of your templates as my sites are 90% multilingual.

When I set up a multilingual site I add:

1 General Menu for all languages - with 1 homepage (all languages)
1 Mainmenu - Menu for English - with 1 homepage (english language) and subpages
1 Menuprincipal - Menu for Spanish - with 1 homepage (spanish language) and subpages

1 language switcher English / Spanish

1 Module Menu English - linked to Mainmenu
1 Module Menu Spanish - linked to Menuprincipal

I add the Module Menus position-1 and language switcher position-0 or any other postion.

Now if I take the beez2 template or any other joomla template in the installation packet this setup works perfectly and when I switch languages (flags or text) I always get a Menu with Menu items in their respective language.

Now in your templates the mainmenu has per default position-7 which is not a position - but a fixed one.

And in the template settings/top menu settings - I have to choose a default menu - WHICH I THINK IS THE MAIN PROBLEM - If I choose the Mainmenu - only the English topmenu version is showing at mysite/en if I click the language switcher and choose the Spanish site - the topmenu stays blanc.

If I now choose the Menuprincipal as the default topmenu the spanish menu shows but not the English one...

And the multilingual support seems not possible that way.

I thougt I read that you are going to solve this problem by giving your Menu a Module Position in the new upgrade - I am almost sure I read that somewhere and was really excited:-)

Now I updated my yougrids and youmedia template manually - following your instructions on:....we-ready-joomla-2-5-a.html uploading the following files of yougrids 2.5 to my site and also installed a test site with the yougrids files (Template_Yougrids-J17J25) and (Plugin_YJ_Mega_Menu-J17J25):
  • elements - folder with files
  • html/com_content - folder with files
  • html/com_users - folder with files
  • offline.php - file
  • css/joomladefaults.css - file

But in both, the update and new test installation I cannot make the topemnu multilingual compatible as in other Joomla Templates.

Did I miss to upload a file? or did you not add a module position to your update? Or do you have any other suggestion of how to make your templates topmenu multilingual compatible with Joomla 1.6 to 2.5

Please let me know.

I can make use of multilingual with a workaround (having to move all menus into one and making 3 default home sites... )- but the customers won't be happy with that... as it looks very confusing in the admin area... especially after the 2.5 update..

Thanks for your work!


this is solved by YJ Mega menu moved to a module not to be part of templates or framework anymore. This is already done but will not be published until YJSG 2.0 is out

neo 02-06-2012 08:43 PM

and no , I never said there was mod position update for 25 , menu is still hard coded and does not require any positions but please take this to YJSG forum not here. thnx

rocaloca 02-07-2012 05:11 AM

I misunderstood you then - but I am happy it is solved and soon available to us.

danielt014 03-13-2012 03:00 PM

Hi neo,

Since when YJSG version 2.0 will be available to us?
Thanks a lot.

Daniel

neo 03-13-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielt014 (Post 44934)
Hi neo,

Since when YJSG version 2.0 will be available to us?
Thanks a lot.

Daniel


we are working hard on both YJV4 and YJSG 2.0 , cant give exact dates but about 8 weeks

danielt014 03-13-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neo (Post 44936)
we are working hard on both YJV4 and YJSG 2.0 , cant give exact dates but about 8 weeks

I appreciate your answer.
Thanks Neo.

P.S. I love YJSG and YJ also

danielt014 05-12-2012 10:25 AM

Hi Neo,

Some news about YJSG version 2?

neo 05-16-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielt014 (Post 45967)
Hi Neo,

Some news about YJSG version 2?

actually yes. We are testing development on it and once beta is ready I will gather some members to give it a try.

Simultaneously also working on better compression
mega menu mod and HAAARD work on YJV4.

No timeline for either. But I am sure you will love it.

danielt014 05-17-2012 09:41 AM

Thanks Neo,

For sure I'll love it.
Another question: an upgrade from yjsg 1.0.13 to yjsg 2.0 should be smooth?
Daniel

neo 05-23-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielt014 (Post 46066)
Thanks Neo,

For sure I'll love it.
Another question: an upgrade from yjsg 1.0.13 to yjsg 2.0 should be smooth?
Daniel

I don't think we will be able to do the update 1.x to 2.0, reason being is J1.5 based templates which are no longer supported and it will cause a confusion plus the framework is completely overwritten. We might port some templates to the new version but not all and if we do, it will be a simple reinstall noting crazy. So to answer the question , if there is port from 1 to 2 it will be smooth.

neo 05-23-2012 12:12 AM

as for responsive webdesign , YJSG 2.0 is fully responsive plus we are getting ready to release instructions on how to port your current grid to responsive web design. It should be out in few days.

danielt014 05-24-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neo (Post 46165)
I don't think we will be able to do the update 1.x to 2.0, reason being is J1.5 based templates which are no longer supported and it will cause a confusion plus the framework is completely overwritten. We might port some templates to the new version but not all and if we do, it will be a simple reinstall noting crazy. So to answer the question , if there is port from 1 to 2 it will be smooth.

Very good news, I can't hardly wait.;)

dig814 05-30-2012 01:13 PM

Great.!
 
Looking forward to responsive web design tutorial and new framework!

dig814 06-30-2012 11:25 AM

Any updates?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo (Post 46166)
as for responsive webdesign , YJSG 2.0 is fully responsive plus we are getting ready to release instructions on how to port your current grid to responsive web design. It should be out in few days.

Hi Neo,

Really excited about responsive design and VERY interested in the tutorial? Is it ready? I looked around but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!
Dan

PS. Fabulous job on the latest templates. You Bricks Engine is really awesome. Great work.

dig814 07-17-2012 05:13 PM

:)
 
Hi Guys,
Any updates? thank you very much.

neo 07-17-2012 06:12 PM

yes , today , I tested on joomla 3.0 Alpha and the reason for this long wait is 3.0 , we must test everything but since it is 3.0 Alpha we must hold on the release because they need to put twitter bootstrap
Twitter Bootstrap
in it and we want to make sure that our new YJSG interface has no troubles with it,
there are quite few changes from 2.5 to 3.0 and it would be crazy to release it for 2.5 and develop or do upgrades for 3.0.

I also tested YJSG 1.x on J 3.0 and there are few issues with it aswell , so the release process would be

1. Upgrade 1.0.x to new version so it is 100% compatible with Joomla 3.0
2. Release YJSG 2.0 RC for testing
3. Release YJSG 2.0 stable

I cant give timeframe becase of Joomla dev team , all I can do is track Joomla 3.0 progress and continue the work

What I am trying to avoid is the trouble with 1.5 and 2.5 templates ,
we thought we are completely safe ( tested on 1.6 alpha ) with conversions untill 1.6 RC came out , and caused trouble .

This time , I rather hold on instead wasting countless hours on fixing bugs on the product that is already released

neo 07-17-2012 06:22 PM

Just to understand what is going on from 2.5 to 3.0 here are few notes
Twitter Bootstrap to be included in Joomla 3.0
Potential backward compatibility issues in Joomla 3.0 and Joomla Platform 12.1 - Joomla! Documentation

dig814 07-18-2012 11:23 AM

Thanks
 
Hi Neo,

Thank you very much for your response. I do appreciate it. Have been experimenting with responsive design and media queries quite a bit. Until the release of the new framework, any tips on retro-fitting a YJSG template to be responsive? Would it be best for me to just buy a new responsive template and examine/compare the changes you made? I understand you are all very busy and I don't want to take up your time. You had just mentioned a tutorial and I am very interested, but I am willing to do whatever makes it easier for you. I also want to support your work, so I am willing to buy a template too if that makes more sense, but I figure since you already retro-fitted a YJSG template to be responsive, you might be able to steer me in the right direction. Again, thanks so much for your time and efforts. :)

neo 07-18-2012 07:08 PM

well , what i actualy want ios make 1.0.x globally responsive , and i have a frame for it but it is not 100%. if you are willing to join the club it is up to you and I am sure you will pleased , but if not you can always grap the css and js and test it. at the momment I have

32 tasks on YJV4 to finish
SIlviu just started 2.5 3.0 templates compatibility which will be released on yjsg 1.0.14
And than we will continue YJSG 2.0

yes we are bit slammed at this point but like said we are trying to make this conversion as easy as possible for everyone.

dig814 07-19-2012 12:37 PM

Thank You very much for your prompt answer. I appreciate it.

dig814 09-26-2012 10:44 PM

tutorial
 
I have a client that wants their site ( built with yjsg) retro fitted to be responsive. Do you, or will you have a tutorial on how to do this? I appreciate you taking the time to give any help....

neo 09-27-2012 06:59 PM

this should make you happy

Joomla! 3.0 is out - What do you need to know?

dig814 10-03-2012 04:12 PM

It sure does! Thanks so much. I can't wait to play!

danielt014 10-18-2012 11:31 AM

Hi Neo,

I've sent few days ago a private message. Please let me know how can I contact you or somebody from your team to discuss with you?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.